Monday, August 18, 2008

Traffic Jam

The other morning I encountered a traffic jam here in Mt. Pleasant. I couldn't figure out what was going on because traffic jams don't occur very often around here. So I rolled down my window, which takes a lot of courage in this oppressive heat, and leaned my head out the side of the car to get a better look. Just then I saw three geese slowly making their way across the street. Then a whole group of geese followed. It was hilarious--these geese literally stopped traffic and wouldn't move out of the way! We sat there for awhile as the geese leisurely strolled across the street. They finally made it to the other side, and traffic continued on as usual.





Later on as I headed home, the ugliest bird on the planet decided to hang out in the street...directly in my path. I don't know the name of this bird, but he hangs out around our house. He looks like a mix between a turkey and a swan (and that's being kind to the poor guy). He wouldn't leave the street and just stood there. I couldn't pass because I was too close to him and didn't want him to freak out and run directly into my car (he doesn't look like a very smart bird, but I may be stereotyping here . . . what birds do look smart?). I would feel really bad if I killed the ugliest bird on the planet. So I sat there and tried to talk him out of the street. He didn't listen. Finally he decided he was bored with me and went on his merry way.


4 comments:

Anne said...

I knew I shouldn't give up on you! Welcome back to blogging, babe.

Wow, you're ducks-a-plenty down there in Mt. Pleasant! I feel badly for the unattractive duck. So from now on, I'm going to think of him as the one with the biggest heart. (Not brain, though - I just can't see that.) I hope to meet him in October!!

Jen Hen said...

I know, I feel really bad calling him the ugliest bird on the planet. But everytime Dave and I see him we both say, "OMG, that bird is so ugly!". Maybe he does have a big heart :). That's a nice thought. Thanks for reading my blog, anne! :)

Grandma said...

Hi Jen,
just read your story of the ducks.

Go Obama / Biden
Eileen

Anonymous said...

Next year, when that bird wins a million dollars in the Southern Avian Lottery, you'll feel sorry for calling him ugly ;-)