Friday, January 11, 2008

Obama!


I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for yet in the upcoming SC primary. So yesterday I went to a rally at the College of Charleston for Barack Obama. It was packed with students, faculty, people from the community like me, Secret Service (all over the place), and local and national media. I stood next to a group of med students from the Medical University of South Carolina who were very interested in hearing what Senator Obama had to say.

What was so exciting is that Senator John Kerry showed up to announce his endorsement of Senator Obama. None of us expected him to be there and to make this major announcement (we had all been waiting in line for hours before the rally so we didn't catch the news about Kerry's endorsement). Because of this endorsement, the event was made even more significant--everyone in the crowd was buzzing about what this meant for John Edwards. More than anything it was exciting to see all of the students so involved in this election. Many of the students volunteered and were very optimistic about the future (which made me smile because at times I caught myself reacting cynically to some of the promises made by both politicians).

I'm still not sure who I'm going to vote for, but yesterday's rally made me feel glad to be a citizen of the United States of America who has a choice in the matter.

Senators Obama and Kerry on stage:


Both men greeting supporters:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Jen.
And weird that Kerry would back Obama and not Edwards--his former running mate! We had all the democratic candidates speak at our convention last summer and though I couldn't be close for all of them, I made sure to see Obama up close--and he's really something.
I'm not sure who I'm voting for either (though, darn it all, I like Hilary), but I figure by the time the MD primary rolls around, it will be mostly a done deal anyway. And I am thankful that there are several good democratic candidates to choose from. And that we can choose.

Grandma said...

So nice you were able to attend this Obama rally. It is exciting to be part of the process. Good reporting.
I am still not sure who I am voting for either. I like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.